Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Workplace Grace

Our small group is doing a book called Workplace Grace by Bill Peel and Dr. Walt Larimore.  It has been nothing short of awesome.  There are lots of studies we do that are difficult to apply to real life.  Not this one.  I have a story for every question, an application to daily life of every challenge, and love doing this study!  The goal of the book is to teach us all how to become a spiritual influence at work, and it came at a great time for me.

We are currently switching over to EMR (electronic medical records).  Talk about a headache.  I have realized that my generation takes our computer abilities for granted, especially in comparison to some "older" people.  There are multiple frustrations to occur during this time of transition, but luckily, I can remember some verses to keep me focused.

"Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters.  You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.  Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires.  So get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls.  But don't just listen to God's word.  You must do what it says."  James 1:19-22

It can be so easy to blame somebody else at work when things aren't done exactly as I expected.  Rather than getting angry, I should use each opportunity to build a relationship.  

The book describes evangelism as many, mini steps.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.

"We need to go to work for the same reasons we attend church:  to serve God and to serve one another."

That sentence is such a great reminder for me.  The only reason we go to work (or do anything for that matter) is to bring Him glory!

I realize this post is kind of random, but it's what we've been talking about over the past month.  I'm trying hard to always have workplace grace.  : )

No comments: