Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Precious Mama Deanie

My sweet grandmother, "Mama," went to Heaven on Sunday morning.  It was a complete surprise to all of us left here on earth, but we know she is cooking with Jesus and dancing with Papa right now.  Mama is an amazing Godly woman with a heart of gold.  She has the most contagious laugh, and her smile makes me so so happy!  Mama lived a full life in her 83 years, and most importantly, she lived those 83 years for Jesus.

One of the first things I said when I heard about her passing away was, "I wanna be just like her."  She is such a role model and my hero.  I have learned so much from her about being a wife, a sister, a friend, and a mother.  She loved each and every one of her children, grandchildren, and great-grans so much.  Honestly, I don't know how to put into words how much she means to me.

My Papa died when I was 4 years old, and she has been so strong over the past 22 years without him on earth.  I know he's so happy to have her up there with him now, and that's what I'm clinging to as I miss hearing her voice and seeing her smile.  I used to love going over to her house to spend the night as a child, watch her cook green beans with sugar, make homemade milkshakes, and eat more cake with her than a girl ever should.  The first birthday card Caleb and I got each year came from Mama.  I will forever cherish my 26th b-day card she sent just 12 days ago.  The conversation Anna and I had with her on the phone Saturday night will never be forgotten.  We were able to tell her we love her, and she was able to call us "Kat-Anna" one more time with that sweet voice.

Mama gave me a Holiday Barbie for Christmas each year, and those plastic dolls in boxes are one of my most prized possessions.  But more than giving me material possessions, Mama gave me life lessons.  She taught me how to love, how to cook, how to walk with the Lord and be a woman of grace and dignity.

My uncle Sonny, her son, did the service yesterday, and I am amazed by his strength.  He told stories of Mama nodding off in the choir loft, winning the SetBack card tournament at Lake Murray, and teaching kindergarten at the church.  We have received so much yummy food, so many beautiful flowers, and such thoughtful prayers from those who loved Mama.  She had so many amazing friends, and it has been such a blessing spending time with them.

It's gonna be tough.  Every Christmas.  Every Thanksgiving.  Every Mother's Day.  Every August 14, her birthday.  Every second of every day is gonna be tough.  But through faith in Christ, I know we can all get through it.

I love you so incredibly much, Mama.  Thanks for all you are for us!  We are so blessed to have you as our Mama!

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Beautifully written, Kathryn.

Cameron said...

I have no doubt that your Mama is so proud of the woman you have become! Thanks for sharing a little piece of her with us on your blog! What a special grandmother you had!
love you and will continue to pray for you and your family!